Sunday, May 22, 2005

Star Wars Episode III: A Lost Empire

Ok, it has taken me a while to post my opinions on Star Wars Episode 3. I wanted to make sure I even knew what to think about the movie. Having seen it twice, I believe I have now made up my mind to my feelings of the film: It sucked.
This is a great disappointment for me, a lifelong Star wars fan. I went with hope and fear to watch this movie. The first time, I kind of enjoyed it. The fighting scenes were excellent, but didn't do enough to eclipse the poor script writing of Lucas. I guess my excitement of finally being able to see the movie blinded me to the critical flaws throughout the film.
The second time, I was more calm and I really wanted to see what kind of film it was. It has everything you would expect to see in a badly made script: from awkward scenes like Anakin and Padme telling saying how much they love each other, to just plain stupid lines like Vader's "NOOOOOOOOO" at the end of the movie. And to my brother's credit, that scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin are fighting and Obi-Wan is on dry land with Anakin on the lava river. Obi-Wan is three feet above Anakin saying that he has the battle is finished because he has the "high ground". Aren't these Jedis supposed to be able to jump dozens of feet in the air? Anakin cannot jump the three feet? Come on! Not to mention the medical condition that kills Padme at the end of the film: "lost the will to live". I don't think I've cringed this much in a movie theater since watching... Well, Episode 2!
Somebody seriously lied to Lucas when he said that Lucas can write and direct. In the same way that Ewan McGregor (who was really good in the movie, in spite of the bad lines he had to speak) told Anakin "You were supposed to be the chosen one!", this movie was supposed to save the new Star Wars Trilogy.
It didn't.

No comments: